Assisted Living Facilities in Louisiana
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living Facility in Louisiana. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in Louisiana
What they're called
Official name: Adult Residential Care Homes, Adult Residential Care Facilities
Common name: Assisted living facilities
To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
What they offer
- Individual living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments) and shared, two-person living units
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- Supervision of self-administered medication (but not administering of medication)
- Personal care services, including help with one or more activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, and bathing)
- Social and exercise activities
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
What they cost
Median monthly fees: $3,065 (higher for residents requiring memory care)
State of Louisiana requirements
- Resident may engage outside provider or caregiver for services not offered by the facility, including personal care, nursing care, and medication administration.
- Facility may not arrange or contract for health-related services above those to be provided by the facility itself within state regulations.
- Functional needs assessment of resident to be made upon admission and at least annually thereafter, or following any substantial change in resident's condition.
State of Louisiana oversight
The Louisiana state Department of Health and Hospitals, Standards Section (225-342-6299) licenses and regulates assisted living communities.
How to resolve problems or offer feedback
- Contact the Louisiana long-term care ombudsman at 866-632-0922; this is a free service helping residents informally resolve problems with a facility.
- To register a complaint, contact the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, Standards Section complaint service at 800-660-0488.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in Louisiana
- Most assisted living is paid for privately, by the resident and/or his or her family.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Senior Living Directory.
- For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.
- Abbeville, LA
- Alexandria, LA
- Baker, LA
- Bastrop, LA
- Baton Rouge, LA
- Bogalusa, LA
- Bossier City, LA
- Breaux Bridge, LA
- Broussard, LA
- Covington, LA
- Crowley, LA
- Denham Springs, LA
- Deridder, LA
- Donaldsonville, LA
- Eunice, LA
- Franklin, LA
- Gonzales, LA
- Gretna, LA
- HARAHAN, LA
- Hammond, LA
- Houma, LA
- Jennings, LA
- Kenner, LA
- Lafayette, LA
- Lake Charles, LA
- Mandeville, LA
- Minden, LA
- Monroe, LA
- Morgan City, LA
- New Iberia, LA
- New Orleans, LA
- Oakdale, LA
- Ascension County, LA
- Avoyelles County, LA
- Bossier County, LA
- Caddo County, LA
- Calcasieu County, LA
- East Baton Rouge County, LA
- East Feliciana County, LA
- Iberia County, LA
- Jefferson County, LA
- Lafayette County, LA
- Lincoln County, LA
- Livingston County, LA
- Ouachita County, LA
- Rapides County, LA