Assisted Living Facilities in Kansas
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living Facility in Kansas. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in Kansas
What they're called
Official name: Assisted Living Facilities and Residential Health Care Facilities
Common name: Assisted living facilities
To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
What they offer
- Individual living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments); each unit must have its own bathroom; assisted living facility units must each have its own kitchen (residential healthcare facility units need not have a kitchen)
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- Limited skilled nursing services
- Supervision, health and medication monitoring
- Personal care services: Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, and bathing
- Social and exercise activities
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
What they cost
Median monthly fees: $3,518 (higher for residents requiring memory care)
State of Kansas requirements
- If included in the resident contract, a facility may engage outside licensed home healthcare agency or hospice to provide additional care.
- Functional capacity screening of resident to be made upon admission and at least annually thereafter, or following any substantial change in resident's condition. Further assessment to be made by licensed nurse if screening indicates healthcare needs.
- Licensed nurse must assess whether a resident can safely, accurately, and independently perform self-administration of medication.
- Licensed pharmacist must conduct medication regimen review at least quarterly for any residents whose medication is administered by the facility. Same review must be offered to residents who self-administer medications.
State of Kansas oversight
The Kansas Department on Aging (785-296-1253) licenses and regulates assisted living programs.
How to resolve problems or offer feedback
- Contact the Kansas long-term care ombudsman for your area of the state or call the central toll-free number at 877-662-8362); this is a free service helping residents informally resolve problems with a facility.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in Kansas
- Most assisted living is paid for privately by the resident and/or his or her family.
- For Medicaid-eligible low-income residents who are eligible for nursing home level of care, Kansas's Medicaid home and community-based waiver program pays part of the cost of services provided by participating facilities. The amount of payment depends on the level of care needed.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Senior Living Directory.
- For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.
- Abilene, KS
- Andover, KS
- Arkansas City, KS
- Atchison, KS
- Augusta, KS
- BEL AIRE, KS
- Bonner Springs, KS
- Chanute, KS
- Coffeyville, KS
- Derby, KS
- El Dorado, KS
- Emporia, KS
- Fort Scott, KS
- Gardner, KS
- Great Bend, KS
- Haysville, KS
- Hutchinson, KS
- Independence, KS
- Junction City, KS
- Kansas City, KS
- Lansing, KS
- Lawrence, KS
- Leavenworth, KS
- Leawood, KS
- Lenexa, KS
- Liberal, KS
- MERRIAM, KS
- Manhattan, KS
- Mcpherson, KS
- Mission, KS
- Newton, KS
- Olathe, KS
- Barton County, KS
- Butler County, KS
- Coffey County, KS
- Cowley County, KS
- Crawford County, KS
- Dickinson County, KS
- Douglas County, KS
- Harvey County, KS
- Jackson County, KS
- Johnson County, KS
- Leavenworth County, KS
- Miami County, KS
- Nemaha County, KS
- Osage County, KS
- Pottawatomie County, KS
- Reno County, KS