From the Provider
One of the prime benefits of Country Meadows of Hershey is its location: You'll find it in the heart of town, one-half mile from the Hershey Medical Center, close to culture and shopping (the outlets!). Residents relish the nearby adventures and options. They can take free classes at the Mohler Senior Center, visit Zoo America, attend Hershey Bears games at the Giant Center, and enjoy performances at the Hershey Symphony or Hershey Area Playhouse. Residents can also take acrylic and watercolor classes tailored to their abilities at Paxtang Art Association. And the town of Hershey is a popular tourist destination, since it's home to the largest chocolate manufacturer in North America.
Even with all the nearby options, the feeling on campus is residential and comfortable. Country Meadows of Hershey has flat grounds and a scenic fitness trail that inspire seniors to get outdoors. Staff are continuously coming up with new creative approaches for activities that keep mature adults interested and involved. Just recently, therapy chickens came for a visit. These birds were quite tame and comfortable around people -- and lots of fun to pet. About 45 residents participated.
Country Meadows Retirement Communities is a multi-generational family business, founded by former Pennsylvania Governor George M. Leader and wife Mary Jane. For over four decades, the organization has remained family-owned, with the founders still sitting on the board. Adult children Michael Leader (CEO), David Leader (COO), and brother-in-law, Ted Janeczek (CFO), now run the establishment. There are a total of 10 communities owned by Country Meadows -- nine in Pennsylvania, and one in Frederick, Maryland.
The organization's family mission is to keep residents self-sufficient and independent as long as possible. How independent is independent? The answer differs for each resident. As we age, we lose ability to perform certain tasks -- but there are other tasks we can still do. Country Meadows assesses each individual to find out what he can do and where he needs help. Country Meadows meets residents where they're at. For example, a man who can no longer drive might be able to help with directions; a woman who can't use a knife to chop carrots safely might be able to fold napkins or tear lettuce.
Country Meadows staff also customizes exercise programs to each individual's ability. Classes are instructed according to levels of proficiency for optimum physical, mental, and spiritual benefits.
Country Meadows strives to help residents find meaning in their lives. The staff knows that giving back to the community can be extremely gratifying to seniors, even as they themselves are receiving assistance. For example, a resident might need assistance getting dressed because it hurts to lift her arms -- but that very same resident might be able to participate in an arthritis advocacy walk. She is giving back and making a difference, and her contribution matters. Country Meadows has partnered with numerous charitable organizations to make opportunities like this possible, because they know that senior lives are made richer when they can help others.
One secret of Country Meadows' Success: they recruit and retain the best staff in the area. They've been deemed "Best Place to Work in Pennsylvania" eight times between 2001-2011. This is no accident: Country Meadows management strives to create a culture of fulfillment and passion by providing ongoing training, education, and career enhancement opportunities. Employees are happy to be here, and families notice that they are gracious, approachable, and helpful.
* Apartment complexes are grouped according to level of care
- Close proximity to libraries, senior centers, banks, churches, temples, doctors' offices, veteranarians' offices
- Walking/biking/fitness trail
- Private dining room
- Fitness center: equipment specially designed for use by seniors
- Shared areas for amusing guests, mingling, and unwinding
- Housing organized according to peer groups
- Computer center with access and instructions
- Beauty shop
- Barber shop
- Hershey Bears games at Giant Center
- Hershey Playhouse performances
- Hershey Symphony performances
- Visits from therapy chickens
- Lunch & Learn: lectures from outside speakers
According to Director of Advertising, Mandi Block, "It's all about you." Classes are organized by differing levels of ability. Some activities are actually run by the seniors -- for example, one small group regularly watches opera on DVDs together.
- Nautilus: exercises are devised for seniors
- Tai Chi
- Yoga: gentle
- Wii bowling league: all locations of Country Meadows compete against each other annually
- Additional computer games include golfing, tennis, and baseball Life-long learning programs
- Volunteer opportunities
- Art classes
- Painting courses
- Piano lessons
- Cooking presentations
- Current events exchanges
- Support groups including groups for grief, Alzheimer's, and memory care
- Movie nights
- Fireside chats
- Shopping trips
- Lunch out
- Field trips to museums
- Organized travel ventures
- Devoted fitness staff to assist with exercises
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Massage therapy
- Day-long dining: snacks and beverages
- Regular, high-caliber meals served three times per day
- Dressing assistance
- Medication management
- Weekly housekeeping
- Weekly linen services
- Transportation to appointments, errands, shopping, and church
- Full-time, onsite chaplains with referrals to clerics for other religions
- Potential residents learn total costs immediately, as the rental fee is all-inclusive with services
- Rental fee covers all utilities plus cable television and wireless internet access
- No buy-in fee
- 24-hour trained, compassionate staff
Country Meadows has proven through four decades that it walks its talk. Goals are to:
- Promote a Genuine Sense of Community
- Honor the Rights and Independence of Seniors
- Support Wellness in all of its Dimensions
- Encourage Lifelong Growth and Development
- Provide Leadership to Our Team
- Practice Professional and Social Responsibility
- Create the Standard for Quality
- Establish a Culture of Integrity
|Lowest Monthly Rate:||
|Highest Monthly Rate:||
|Financial Guidance Offered:||
|Types of Residence:||
Reviews of Country Meadows - Hershey
Average Rating: based on 2 Reviews
I am a friend or relative of a resident
I chose Country Meadows for my parents because it's very close to my house. It's also close to Hershey Medical Center, so care is more convenient. The staff there are excellent and very friendly. Their interactions with the residents are always good. They are always trying to get my parents involved in getting out not settling in their rooms. My parents like them. For activities, they have bingo, movies and some religious activities. They also like the food they serve there and they're much happier being in that facility. I would recommend this place.
I visited this facility
This facility is a first class place for seniors. It is clean, well maintained, beautiful, well staffed, in a great location and so much more. My grandfather has always been very happy here. He likes being able to live independently but yet still have people around his own age that he can socialize with and also have someone around if he is in need of medical care. They have wonderful dining options, great floor plans and much more. They make sure that if their residents want to stay busy that they have that option. He has never complained about anything at this facility and when we have visited the staff is wonderful and the place always seems top notch. I really recommend this facility to anyone that is in the area and is looking for a assisted living option.
Location of Country Meadows - Hershey
Features of Country Meadows - Hershey
- Beauty/Barber shop
- Gardens/outside patio