Top nearby Assisted Living Facilities:

Reviews of Winters Park Assisted Living And Memory Care

Posted by Winters Park Garland TX April 19, 2014
1.0

My sisters has been in Winters Park Assisted Living in Garland, TX for about a year and a half. It is real clean and everything is good except for the nursing staff and the doctor that comes to the facility. I asked the head nurse back in January to reduce my sisters medicine since she was taking enough to kill a horse. She said she would contact the doctor. I didn't hear anything else, and didn't keep tabs of medicines they were ordering from the pharmacy. She became very ill and was having diarrhea and she became anemic. Two different times when she asked to see the doctor, the nurse did not tell the doctor. Finally the doctor saw her and took a blood test to find out that her kidneys were failing. They almost waited too long. She became dehydrated due to the diarrhea and the enormous amounts of diuretics they were giving her. The facility did not believe she had diarrhea and the nurse said she rather hateful things about her. She said May was always asking for medicine, but she did not ask for all those diuretics nor did she ask for all that other medicine. I had told them in a nice way to stop the diuretics, because she was already taking some with her blood pressure pill. After I took her to a kidney doctor, I saw the drug list that was given to the doctor and realized that right after I had asked them to reduce her medicine, they doubled all of it - even the diuretics. When the kidney doctor saw she was taking so many diuretics, he ordered Winters Park to cease giving them to her, but they didn't because the kidney doctor's office called and asked me if they were giving her more medicine because her kidney levels had risen from the time of her first visit. They called the doctor, but they did not take her off them, because when I confronted them about doubling her medicine I find out they were still giving them to her three times a week. The manager apparently has no intention of firing this inept ignorant, vindictive nurse. All I know is that they will get a big lawsuit one of these days for killing one of those patients. The nurse is dangerous and I don't recommend this facility to anyone.

Posted by Mary Littlejohn June 07, 2013

We went to Winter's Haven because my mom has friends in there. It was absolutely fabulous. We couldn't ask for anymore. It was very pleasant and people in there looked happy. I thought the staff was overly friendly. They would pop their heads from the other rooms even as we were walking down the hall, and I thought that showed a lot of compassion. The only thing that was discouraging to me was knowing that the rooms they were getting are small and it just seems so hard to go to a little room. That's the only down thing I saw.

Posted by squidyak April 25, 2012

We got to know the residents personally over the course of a year, and the residents commented that they enjoyed staying at this facility. The staff seemed to be courteous to us and to the residents, they treated the residents with respect as older individuals, and were willing to help us help them. The inside environment is relaxing, welcoming, and enjoyable, and we saw family members come each week to visit with their relatives in different areas of the lobby. There is a courtyard with patio seating, a fireplace or two, and a small exercise room suited for group exercise. There are kind, attentive individuals working in the dining room, and the food is pretty good. They have ample activities for the residents to enjoy, and one man commented that he saw no need to leave the facility because "the entertainment is here." The front staff care to get to know you and care that you have come to visit or to offer emotional support to one of their residents. The only negative thing we encountered was an occasional lack of communication between the director of activities and other staff members. The residents said they would recommend this location to their friends.

Posted by Kathy Howk November 23, 2011
4.0

Winter park assisted living and memory care is located at 3450 wagon wheel. Garland, Texas. 75044. My mother in law. Lived there and they were good to her! Could use a little more staff, but they always did good! Now she is in the nursing home part of winter park which is next door. Hospice has been alot of help too.

Location of Winters Park Assisted Living And Memory Care