Top nearby Assisted Living Facilities:

Reviews of Davis House

Posted by hospicehelper September 05, 2012
4.0

The facility is clean and the staff is wonderful. Top notch in our area

Posted by Caring8160 June 14, 2012
3.0

We had a quick tour in Davis House because the person who showed us around had to go somewhere. The place was clean and decent. The people around seemed ok. I wasn't that impressed with everything that I saw compared to the other facilities I visited where you can feel everything seems way better than just average.

Posted by Carl in Calif December 09, 2011

In April this yr, I moved my parents, 92 and 89, into Davis House, due to dad falling frequently and mom's dementia. Davis H. front door requires a punched in code to get out, so residents like mom can't just walk away, which she had done at home (good safety feature). The single story layout is square with a central continuous hallway (apts on both sides) that has been great for my mom to do laps daily. At the center of the building is an outdoor courtyard with grass, shade trees, benches, bird feeders, etc., where mom and dad would sit after a meal when the weather's not too hot or cold. I've eaten with them in the diningroom (3 meals a day). I appreciate that lunch, not dinner, is the big meal of the day; good basic food; dad especially liked breakfast. Living 300 miles away, I appreciated the prescription and medical supply companies that Davis H. was associated with. Everything I ordered was delivered to them; new meds, medical supplies, catalogue orders, etc.. My wife and I visited about once a month but to get them to a doctor or just out for a meal (to a favorite restaurant) when I couldn't come, Davis H. uses the services of a senior transport service based in that area. Drivers pick up, transport, stay with, and return mom and dad for a fee. Ref. cleanliness, mom and dad's two room apt always appeared clean, with no clutter on the floor or spills left on a counter; the bathroom was ok too. Dad was incontinent, partially due to cancer surgery, but neither dad nor the room smelled of urine, I supsect because the aides would change his clothes as many as 3 times a day and do his laundry as needed. I would get phone calls from the staff when mom or dad had an injury incident (falling, etc) or behavioral change or personal needs for them ("depends" type diapers, warmer jkt, etc) and either bring items when I came or order them. I have visited several assisted living facilities and don't know of any that aren't understaffed. I have seen incidents like others have commented on as far as inattentiveness, but my experience with Davis H. is that the Director and staff do a good job of handling resident needs, considering the level of needs of the clientel. Any staff member I talked to knew my parents and their habits well. I see my responsibility as seeing that my parents' needs were met, that they got the services they were paying for; as the son of the parents who raised me, I need to know who's taking care of them. That means I need to show up and keep in touch. The final service used by Davis H. that I applaud is the hospice service that assisted my dad his last two days there, and how Davis H aides attended his special needs with all their other responsibilities. Once when I sat by dad, he had trouble breathing; I rang for assistance and 4 aides showed up and repositioned dad to make him comfortable. Early Thanksgiving morning a tearful aide phoned me to say dad had passed away. The aide had opened the shade to let in the morning light (their tradition) and treated dad with great dignity. They have since kept a special eye on mom, helping her recover and become more involved in activities at Davis H.. No doubt there are aides and admin staff who don't do their jobs appropriately, but after 8 months, I have confidence in the administration and staff to take the best possible care of my surviving parent, my mom, and I would highly recommend Davis H..

Posted by Disgusted May 12, 2011
1.0

Friend or relative of resident

Administrator could care less. Aides are overworked and underpaid. Thievery receives a "look the other way" attitude and I'm not talking about residents "borrowing" from other residents. I am talking full blown stealing. Rates are nowhere close to what is quoted on various websites. We are at $5800 and they are still wanting more!! If you don't pay their price, believe me they will withhold the most basic necessities of life, like assisted feeding. My relative has been there 10 months and I have never had a more emotionally wrenching experience as I have had with the administrator. Do your loved one and yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Location of Davis House