Top nearby Assisted Living Facilities:

Reviews of The Commons at Dallas Ranch

Posted by V.P. Robbins October 04, 2014
2.0

My father has been very happy living here. There a couple of staff members that are so sweet and kind and take the time to actually talk to him. However, new manager, Mike ?, is unbelievable!!! Nice to you when in front of him however when not there...the story changes. He does not ever return phone calls...never available to meet however does take the time to meet with father to say he will now only get one bath vs three baths a week! Orginal contract was for 3......he is indignant, disrespectful and does not have a clue as to how this affects the elderly.

Posted by icantbelieveit May 14, 2014
1.0

When my friends first put their loved one in this facility on the dementia side, it boasted great services and care..this is what they found out after being there for a short period of time..1. consistent shortage of staff workers 2. consistent changing of the manangement staff 3. accidents of their loved one not being addressed..and these are just a few of the issues..NOW they have doubled the rates for many of the rooms..they are forcing residents to either double up or pay hundreds of dollars more...you might wonder, are they increasing their staff? NO...but they are increasing their POCKETBOOKS while dementia patients suffer from inadequate, overworked staffing...their care is very questionable and the leaders are bewildered, befuddled and disoriented and could care less if there is enough staff to adequately and safely insure the care of their residents...think twice before sending your loved ones here...and, IF you do, WATCH them and their supposed excellent care...believe me, you do not want your loved one here...there is no accountability with management..the only accountability is... THEIR income....this management team is unfeeling, uncaring, unemotional and insensitive to the plight of dementia victims..would this be the type of place where you would consider putting your loved one? I should hope not!

Posted by Caring Niece9 March 25, 2014
1.0

I was very happy with this facility initially. Not any more. Two years brought in three different management companies. With the current management company, Aretgan, care is not the top priority but money is. In memory care, in order to keep their private rooms and bath residents have to pay $2000 plus more a month. As residence leave, those rooms are being converted in to two people room. The closets are the single door kind with shelving on one half, there is no possibility of storing a weeks worth of hanging clothes you also need to downsize to a single bed to get in more chest of drawers. They are using memory care to move in people form the assisted living side without memory issues which is causing a multitude of problems beginning with the residence complainning which you can't blame them. There you are stuck in a wheel chair being told you need to move for better care and then you have to deal with people wondering in your room 24-7, taking your things. Learned one resident was movd there because she was such a problem so let's inflict them on the dementia side, they won't remember their discomfort long enough to complain. I personally believe they were moved as their contracts, written when the market crashed had low rates. One woman was told she could move her dad back to the non memory side, or by the way, you now get to pay the street rate which is $1000 a more a month than he was paying. The food quality has fallen. The memory care side staff is not trainned, they have no clue what "he's diabetic" means. The majority of staff are tiny women who have a horrible time transferring wheelchair people. About the only good things I can say about memory care is the Director, Teresa is wonderful with the families and residence and the two male med tech and a couple of the girl med tech really do love the residence.

Posted by Hula Mama December 23, 2013
4.0

I was in dire need of a vacation and was concerned about leaving my husband at home with minimal supervision. He has early stage Parkinson's Disease and a chronic pain issue. I heard from a trusted friend that The Commons/Assisted Living @ Dallas Ranch offers excellent respite care. I was going to be gone for one week and knew I'd feel so much better and enjoy my time away more if I knew a team of caregivers were attending to my husband's needs. My husband (of almost 50 years) was willing to give The Commons a try after meeting with their intake director, on-site nurse, and staff who would be providing his medication and meal service. I'm pleased to report it was a good fit and successful match. In fact, he said to me when the time comes that he needs care I can no longer provide at home, The Commons would be his first choice for assisted living. He liked the extra attention he received from every staff person, starting with strawberry dipped chocolates waiting for him the day of his arrival and a few days later his favorite milkshake when a craving for a strawberry shake crossed his mind. It took a little extra effort on my part to make sure I met The Commons guidelines for a short term resident stay but that was a small price to pay knowing that my husbands safety, security and comfort were of paramount importance to them and to me. In conclusion, his week away from home was restorative for him plus I had a delightful time in Hawaii while attending an event for our daughter, who wanted mom to be present when she received an award. Everyone was happy!

Posted by Friend of the elderly October 09, 2013
3.0

I chose this facility for a family member as it was clean, reasonable priced, good meals and low turn over of employees. In the past two years it now has it's 3rd new management team and with each change numerous new faces. Changes made were for the most part uncessary and are causing stress for the residents. I am all for change if it is necessary but some things are not necessary. The residents of this facility are the seniors among seniors. Change causes them anxiety and leads to memory issues so why, since it was not a safety issue would you change the day their room is clean. I am told it was for the convenience of staff. Be it not better for staff to pop around this facility then making 80 and 90 year olds find another day and activity to keep themselves busy when their rooms are cleanned. Why switch tables around, they like eating with the same people which is not possible when you go from a 6 person table to a 4 person table but the biggest thing is replacing the front loading washer with top loading washer. Due to limited motion they may get the clothes loaded but have difficulty unloading. A stool could mean slipping. Jumping up could mean cracked ribs. These management companies are suppose to be familiar with the elderly and their their needs such as limitations of motion and should know from experience changes are hard on them. The other day my family member was told to return to their room for their medication, in the past, they would see them in the lobby and give it to them. Is it not better for the worker to find them rather then make them go to their room? A year ago I would have given this facility a 5 star rating. This year, they barely make 3

Posted by Tony15 August 01, 2013

The Common at Dallas Ranch was clean and very nice. The staff is great.

Posted by shelley1 August 08, 2011
2.0

I considered this facility for my mom. Although it was very beautiful, well decorated, friendly staff, there were a couple of things that I didn't like. My mom would have been on the 2nd floor and she would have to take an elevator down to the dining room. I believe if she opted to have dinner in her room, it would have cost extra. And in fact, the deciding factor was price. Although the monthly price was lower than other facilities, the services all cost extra. If my mom needed help with a shower or shampoo, extra$$. Help dressing, extra $$$. Who can afford NOT knowing what your monthly bill will be. Certainly, not I.

Posted by Q1 July 06, 2011

This facility is in a really suburban neighborhood and somewhat upscale on one side, and the other is working class. It has a Lucky's and a Safeway about a mile from the facility, and there are some restaurants nearby as well.

The grounds are immaculate. They have a beautiful garden, and there is walking outside the residents' rooms with lots of trees.

The residents' rooms range in size. There are small studios that are about 450 square feet. The rooms go up to two-bedrooms, which are almost 1000 square feet. Each room has a refrigerator and kitchenette, though the residents have to provide a refrigerator.

The common areas are really nice. They have a library with Internet access. They have about four common areas total with a gym.

The staff was really welcoming. The marketing director gave me a tour of the facility, and the workers who were engaging with the residents appear very vigilant.

The food was actually really good "“ I didn't taste it, but I viewed the kitchen. They have a three-course meal at breakfast, lunch, dinner, plus an all day snack and hydration area. The food smelled delicious.

The residents were out at a casino when I visited. They have a full monthly calendar of activities, including exercise classes. They recently held a silent auction where the Alzheimer's patients painted the pictures that were sold and the money they raised went to Alzheimer's research.

You could certainly refer someone here who is independent, and if they needed assisted living or memory care, they could transition into those units.

One nice thing is that there's a resident council there with a president and other officers, and they're the ones who create the activities.

Location of The Commons at Dallas Ranch