Top nearby Assisted Living Facilities:

Reviews of La Palma Royale

Posted by Krispy October 03, 2013

I am glad and relieved to have found the facility and staff of La Palma Royale for my elderly Aunt. When I visited the facility I was very impressed with the brightness from the sunshine coming in from the large windows. (nothing dim or depressing here!) As I waited for the tour, I saw several staff members stopping to chat or give a greeting to all of the residents that were in the area. The grounds, facility and courtyards are well maintained and beautiful. Common areas are very welcoming. The rooms clean and spacious. The meal area feels more like a restaurant dining room. I found out later the food is fresh healthy and delicious.

The best part was the upstairs area where my Aunt would be staying. Since her Dementia has increased with age, I was concerned that she would only sit in her room. However, that was never going to be an issue. Everyone was in the great room with lovely music playing, some residents were at the tables reading magazines or crafting. Others were watching comedy on a big screen TV. All were quietly enjoying the day. Stephanie, the director, chatted with many of the residents and she knew their names. Hugs were given. The staff interacted with all residents., keeping everyone on a schedule that works beautifully for each person.

At first I was concerned about sharing a room, but the only time she is ever in her room is at bed time. She loves the interaction with the other residents, and attention from the staff. It is a good thing. On moving in day, we had a trunk that I didn’t think would work in her new room, I had left it down stairs in the garage. Stephanie assured me, it is part of her past and is important to have that for her. She had a couple of staff members take it to a vacant room until they could move it upstairs for me “We can fit it in for her” she told me. On my next visit in was in her room looking perfect. It’s that attention to each individual person that makes Stephanie, Anna and the staff as La Palma Royale an excellent place for your loved one. Everyone was instrumental in getting my Aunt situated and settled in. They are truly concerned about her health and welfare. I feel less stress because I know my Aunt is being well taken care of and has adjusted to her new home because of the amazing staff at La Palma Royale.

Posted by Paul Reuter September 12, 2013
1.0

My mother-in-law was a resident of La Palma Royale for the past 4 years, until she moved out July 31,2013. During her residency there were two incidents that occurred where the majority of the residents property was either lost of stolen. The first incident occurred in 2011. According to staff members my mother-in-law's roommate brought bedbugs into their room. The administrator requested that we come and remove my wife's mothers property from her room. They requested we launder all her clothing and check the remaining property to ensure there were no bedbugs. After talking with several exterminators and other assisted living facilities we were advised not to do as requested. We were told that we would not be able to deal with the bugs and furthermore it was the responsibility of the facility to handle the situation. We advised the administrator of our findings. She said since we refused they would handle the cleaning and the extermination of the bed bugs. The administrator said that they would wash the clothing but the majority of the belongings would be placed in black trash bags and be put in a storage area for an extended time to ensure the bed bugs were dead. An exterminator advised us that the bugs could live up a year and a half in those conditions. The administrator did say prior to the property being returned to the room we would have to go through it to ensure that no bugs were still alive. As expected because of the desire to make extra sure that the bed bugs were dead we waited just shy of 2 years before before requesting the property, In the mean time one administrator left and a new one took over. In February or March of this year we requested the property from the current administrator. We explained the situation and she said her staff would find the property and return it. After several weeks we were informed that the property was unable to be found. The current administrator said she called the prior administrator and her assistant to find the whereabouts of the missing property. She was told that neither one of the prior employees knew what happened to the property. We were told they could do nothing about it. The second incident occurred in July of 2013. My mother-in-law broke her hip and was hospitalized and temporarily moved to a nursing home to recover after hip replacement surgery. In July my sister-in-law responded to La Palma Royale and made notification that her mother was not going to return. My sister-in-law advised the administrator that she was taking her mother's cloths and a few other things. Furthermore she told the administrator that myself and my wife would respond prior to the end of the month and remove the remaining property. When we did, we learned that my mother-in-laws remaining property had been removed from the room. We learned through my mother-in-law's roommate that her property was removed on approximately July 17 and another person was moved into the room. The roommate further stated that as the facility staff removed items from the room she requested that they leave an oak framed picture there so she could use it. The roommate said, she was told the picture belonged to the home. He removed it with the rest of the property. That particular piece of property and several other items were missing from the area where my mother-in-law property was stored. We were told that the property was moved to protect it from being stole. We were further advised that my sister-in-law should have left an inventory list of the property she had left behind for us to pick up. We told the administrator that they should have inventoried the property prior to removing it from my mother-in-laws room. The facility administrator refused to discus the issues any further. Now my 78 year old mother-in-law is having to do without the majority of what property she had when she moved into the facility

Posted by cheleberg April 11, 2013
4.0

Although I have no other experience with other assisted living facilities,I was very impressed with La Palma Royale. I first visited in November of 2011 with my sister who had COPD and had been living with me for a number of years. Watching her health decline had become to much to bear and was taking a huge toll on my physical and mental health. The only drawback I had was the fact that because of her financial standing she would be sharing a room with another woman, but a stranger. After I got over the guilt of this I realized that she was fine with this situation and actually welcomed the company....to an extent. But enough that it eased my mind about the transition. My sister passed away in February, just shy of 1 year at La Palma Royale. It wasn't until she arrived back home from the hospital on hospice that I truly felt the compassion and caring that everyone at LPR had for their residents. They were so kind and caring during this short time (only 1 week) and the residents came by to tell me nice things about her and I could see their care and concern as well. The only thing that sort of turned me off was the smell of cleaning solutions, but better than the alternative if they did not clean well so I tried to overlook this which was easy. I would recommend LPR if anyone has the need to place a loved one in a faclility such as this. Stephanie, Anna and everyone else I came in contact with showed they truly cared for the residents and their families.

Posted by Lupe T. January 17, 2013
4.0

I am so glad I found this facility when I did -- My mom was being discharged and the hospital gave me two referrals to other places that were absolute "flea bags.". My husband and I just happened to drive by and we pulled a u-turn and stopped and I'm so glad we did! Stephanie and her staff dropped what they were doing and gave us a tour even though we just dropped by unscheduled -- They are always welcoming and kind and the facility is very lovely -- nicely and recently decorated. They have activities and outings and truly make taking care of their residents a top priority. My mother had serious nervous condition and depression and anxiety and though I know she was a handlful, Stephanie and her staff were up to the challenge and helped me get mom settled and made her feel at home. Now several months later I can only say what a God send it was to find this place! Mom is happy and taken care of very well, she has lots of attention from Stephanie and the staff, the food is good (I've eaten there several times) and the atmosphere is very positive. Thank you Stephenie, Nadia and all the staff for taking a burden off my mind knowing mom is well taken care of and well adjusted there at the La Palma Royale.

Posted by jhoosiernca September 23, 2012

I visited this facility today searching for a new home for my mother. Grounds and facility were well maintained and the courtyards are gorgeous. Staff is totally involved with the residents and so attentive to family members. The Acting Director, Stephanie allowed me to come for a tour based on my availability not hers. Rooms are clean and spacious. Plenty of activities for the residents, group activities and birthday celebrations provided. Restaurant style meal service provided. wonderful library for resident use and beautifully appointed in addition to a welcoming lobby. Common areas are fabulous. I have never seen so much natural light and seating areas provided for resident enjoyment in any facility I have visited. If you are looking for an assisted living, "retirement hotel" for a loved one, this place is a must see. Stephanie came across as extremely knowledgeable and interested in both new comers and her current residents. I so wish I had found this place 2 1/2 years ago before I moved my mother into her current home. If the owners check these reviews, with all due respect you need to seriously consider making Stephanie your permanent Director. I was as impressed with her as I was the reviews I read and the facility itself. Hoping to move my mom in on October 1, 2012 and I could not be happier.

Smileside.jpg
Posted by commercesd March 01, 2012
4.0

The La Palma Royale assisted living facility looked really well-kept from the outside as we drove up. Our aunt has lived in the region for quite a while and would like to stay in touch with friends and family.

The staff was happy to show us around, despite the fact that we didn't have an appointment. The grounds around the main door were nicely kept, with flower beds and nicely manicured grass. The interior was inviting and we could smell fresh flowers.

We especially liked the park-like atmosphere of the grounds. Our aunt loves to tend the garden and we could see that he would be impressed as well.

As we walked through the building, we could see that the residents enjoy the many nooks and crannies where ample seating areas adorn the many windows.

Communal activity rooms were spacious, with comfortable furniture. The seniors can easily socialize, make crafts, play games, watch TV and films and participate in many stimulating activities. The library had great books and plenty of room to enjoy the peaceful environment. They may also reserve rooms for private parties.

The calendar of events included many fun ways to exercise with nature walks and other excursions and the opportunity to enjoy all that the region offers.

We saw residents of many ambulation - all of whom seemed to be well cared for, content and engaged in their lives. The residents are encouraged to enjoy physical activity as much as possible. They may take exercise classes such as yoga and aerobics, or use the weight training and other equipment. They may also enjoy the outer walk ways around the building and courtyard.

The private rooms featured plenty of space in nicely decorated surroundings. All had a great deal of natural light and fresh air with very comfortable furniture.

The dining rooms included both casual and formal options. Their menus offer a variety of healthy food options. The food looked and smelled delicious, as well as healthily prepared.The snacks also looked interesting and healthy with a nice mix of nutritious options.

Staff appeared to make every effort to ensure that the residents were both safe and comfortable in this living environment.

Location of La Palma Royale