Assisted Living Facilities in Alabama
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living Facility in Alabama. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
Official name: Assisted Living Facilities and Specialty Care Assisted Living Facilities (specially licensed and staffed to care for residents with moderate to severe cognitive impairment)
All facilities are offered in three categories:
- Family assisted living facility (no more than 3 residents)
- Group assisted living facility (4 to 16 residents)
- Congregate assisted living facility (17 or more residents)
Common name: Assisted living facilities
What Assisted Living Facilities in Alabama Offer
- Individual living units (single rooms to multiroom apartments with kitchen; some facilities have shared living units)
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- Medication management
- 24-hour on-call assistance
- Personal care services: assistance with activities of daily living ADLs) such as eating, dressing, and bathing
- Social and exercise activities
- Special care programs (such as memory classes and special monitoring) for residents with memory loss
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
Cost for Assisted Living in Alabama
Median monthly fees: $2,898.75 (higher for residents requiring memory care)
State of Alabama Requirements for Assisted Living Facilities
- Outside home healthcare or hospice permitted to provide additional services
- An initial medical exam and plan of care; specific assessments for specialty care facilities
- Medication administration in specialty care facilities by registered nurse or licensed vocational nurse
- Specialty care facilities must have a medical director and registered nurse on staff and at least two staff members on duty 24-hours
State of Alabama Oversight of Assisted Living Facilities
Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards (334-206-5575) inspects and licenses facilities, registers and may investigate resident complaints.
How to Resolve Problems or Offer Feedback
- Call a long-term care ombudsman; the phone number of the local ombudsman is posted in each facility. Or call the local office of the Area Agency on Aging at 800-243-5463. There's no charge for either service.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities and other services.
How to Pay for Assisted Living
- Most assisted living is paid for privately, by the resident and/or his or her family.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help Finding and Choosing Assisted Living
- Use the form at the top of this page to start your search for assisted living in Alabama.
- Call (866) 824-8174 to speak to a Family Advisor to get (free) help with your search.
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Geriatric Care Manager Directory.
- To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
- For details about assisted living facilities in other U.S. states, see Assisted Living Regulations.
- Alabaster, AL
- Albertville, AL
- Alexander City, AL
- Anniston, AL
- Athens, AL
- Auburn, AL
- Bessemer, AL
- Birmingham, AL
- Cullman, AL
- Daphne, AL
- Decatur, AL
- Dothan, AL
- Enterprise, AL
- Eufaula, AL
- Fairhope, AL
- Florence, AL
- Foley, AL
- Fort Payne, AL
- Gadsden, AL
- Gardendale, AL
- Hartselle, AL
- Helena, AL
- Homewood, AL
- Hoover, AL
- Hueytown, AL
- Huntsville, AL
- Jasper, AL
- Madison, AL
- Millbrook, AL
- Mobile, AL
- Montgomery, AL
- Moody, AL
- Autauga County, AL
- Baldwin County, AL
- Barbour County, AL
- Blount County, AL
- Calhoun County, AL
- Colbert County, AL
- Cullman County, AL
- De Kalb County, AL
- Elmore County, AL
- Escambia County, AL
- Etowah County, AL
- Franklin County, AL
- Geneva County, AL
- Henry County, AL
- Houston County, AL
- Jackson County, AL
- Jefferson County, AL
- Lauderdale County, AL
- Lee County, AL
- Limestone County, AL
- Madison County, AL
- Marengo County, AL
- Marshall County, AL
- Mobile County, AL