Top nearby Assisted Living Facilities:

Reviews of Abilene State Supported Living Center

Posted by RCT July 27, 2012
4.0

My younger brother moved to ASSLC a couple of years ago. After experience with several assisted living group homes, he need more care than they could provide, and we had heard many good things about ASSLC. One of the difficulties with this facility is that the powers that be make it SO DIFFICULT to be put into this state institution. This was the right placement for my brother, and we did eventually get him in after jumping through many proverbial hoops to do so. ASSLC has range of facilities for all different disability levels, but my brother lives in a "cottage" with several other men where his is tended by staff that seem to be well-trained and well-monitored. The staff also seems to be more aware of and attuned to problem behaviors (The most recent example of this was my brother tearing up a new staff member's shirt, and the staff member telling my mother, "He's testing me because I'm new."). I really like the fact that the rights of the clients at ASSLC are protected and respected. Many of the clients have on site jobs and earn paychecks which they can spend at the cafe on extra treats. They also have a lot of recreational activities, including a pool, a theater, and a chapel.

Posted by djc123 July 23, 2012
4.0

I liked this facility the most because it gives clients the option of living in the main facility or in group cottages that hold up to 6 people. The facility was clean even though it had a stale bleach smell like in hospitals. The staff was friendly and most seem genuinely happy to work with the clients. The clients are able to learn skills that will hopefully enable them to live on their own. Ricky was excited because he'll finally be able to get a job. Also, he was excited over getting to make more friends. They have activities in the facility as well as off which he really loves. He really loves the field trips. When I saw him, they last went to Frontier Texas. I think the food is better for the clients if they live in one of the group cottages because they get more input into the type of food that is brought but overall, the food seemed decent. There are vending machines so they can get snacks whenever they want.

Posted by nymunan October 24, 2011
3.0

The establishment was clean, and most of the inhabitants seemed relatively happy. A few of the staff have really bad attitudes, but I chalk it up to it just being a really big facility and that the work is very difficult. I noticed some people were very gentle and helpful to the residents, who were very excited to have anyone visit. I did notice that most of the staff were patient and even enjoying their time with the individual. The community works hard to help this establishment and the people in it. They often have several fundraisers to buy the people Tvs and Xboxes. There is a movie theatre where people living there can watch the newest movies out, and a cafe where people can get an ice cream or a value meal. There is a year round second hand shop, where employees are allowed to buy items donated to the facility for a reasonable price.

Posted by Trunks674 August 02, 2011
4.0

My experience from visiting the Abilene State Supported Living Center was a pleasant one. The staff seemed friendly towards all the residents that reside on the huge campus. The campus is broke down into different areas for the different residents needs. I observed one area of the campus is for residents that are able to live on their own, in their own houses but still got the desired attention of a nurse when needed. Some other areas of the campus were directed towards those individuals that needed a little bit more attention and care. The facility is well maintained from a staff that is full of people from different backgrounds and ethnicity. They have many different activities for the individuals that live there,ranging from a dance hall to movie theater. For anyone looking to find a need for the loved ones, I would recommend this facility to anyone who is needing help taking care of those that need it.

Location of Abilene State Supported Living Center