Specific rules for older drivers
- License renewed every 5 years for those 65 and older. Those 65 and older cannot renew online.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 5 or 10 years for those younger than 65; every 5 years for those 65 and older.
- Renewal conditions: In person for 5 or 10-year renewals. Only the 5-year renewal is available by mail (if there are no violations totaling more than 5 points in the past two years, and no suspensions, revocations, or cancellations); or via Internet (if driver is under 65 and there are no violations totaling more than 5 points in the past two years, and no suspensions, revocations, or cancellations).
- Vision test: Every 5 years.
- Written test: Only if there are 5 or more points on the driver's record for traffic violations, or a condition exists affecting driving ability.
- Road test: Only if there is a need, such as a medical condition affecting driving ability.
For more information
South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016
803-896-5000 or 800-442-1DMV (803-896-8623 in Columbia)