Specific rules for older drivers
- For drivers age 68 to 74, all renewed licenses expire at age 75. For drivers 75 and older, renewal is every four years and must be in person.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 8 years; every 4 years for drivers 75 and older.
- Renewal conditions: In person, or by mail every other renewal cycle for residents of counties that do not provide driver’s license services or those residents temporarily living out of state.
- Vision test: Yes.
- Written test: Yes, if driver's ability is in question.
- Road test: Yes, if driver's ability is in question.
For more information
Montana Department of Justice
Motor Vehicle Division
Scott Hart Building, Second Floor
303 North Roberts
PO Box 201430
Helena, MT 59620-1430