Specific rules for older drivers
- People 66 and older can't renew electronically, but they can renew by mail (effective August 2008) if a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist certifies that they passed a vision exam given within the previous six months.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 5 years.
- Renewal conditions: If eligible, mail-in or online renewal every other cycle.
- Vision test: Yes.
- Written test: Only if point accumulation for traffic violations has resulted in suspension.
- Road test: No. However, a medical clearance is required if drivers answer "yes" to a question about whether they have had a condition (such as heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, seizures, etc.) that could impair their driving ability.
For more information
Division of Motor Vehicles
303-205-5600, 303-205-5609, or 303-205-5613
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214