8 Questions to Ask About Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer
There have been so many advances in radiation therapy in the past few years that choosing a therapeutic approach is not as simple as it used to be. Here are some questions that you or your parent will want to ask her oncologist when deciding on a plan of treatment.
- Is there a risk that the radiation will damage the lungs?
- If the tumor is in the left breast, do we need to worry about damage to the heart?
- Would using IMRT reduce the risk of damage to the lungs, heart, or surrounding skin tissue?
- Is the tumor in a location that can be affected by movement from breathing or digestion?
- If so, are you considering using techniques to control or compensate for movement during radiation?
- Do deodorant, lotion, and other products interfere with radiation therapy?
- If so, how long before treatment should these products be avoided?
- Will the radiation cause cosmetic damage to the skin?