Boost Calories and Protein Intake
How to Boost Calories and Protein Intake
- Offer most of the food when the person is most hungry.
- Encourage the person to eat food with the fingers if it increases intake.
- Add non-fat powdered milk to any food with liquid in it, such as desserts, soups, gravy, and cereal.
- Add butter, whipped cream, or sour cream to foods.
- Add cottage cheese or ricotta cheese to casseroles, scrambled eggs, and desserts.
- Grate hard cheeses on bread, meats, vegetables, eggs, and casseroles.
- Use instant breakfast powder in milk drinks and desserts.
- Add nuts, seeds, and wheat germ to breads, cereal, casseroles, and desserts.
- Add beaten eggs to mashed potatoes, sauces, vegetable purees, and cooked puddings.
- Add honey, jam, or sugar to bread, milk drinks, fruit, and yogurt desserts.
- Add mayonnaise to salads and sandwiches.