A Surefire 5-Step, 10-Minute Meal Formula
What to fix for dinner when you're short on time or energy but expected to whip up a tasty, nutritious meal? That can be especially challenging with a fussy eater or one who can't chew or swallow well.
This simple mix-and-match combination will keep a steady stream of pleasing meals coming to your table.
1. Start with chopped meat or fish of your choice (such as ground beef, lean beef, pork, sole, salmon, tuna) and cook in olive oil in a pan on the stovetop.
2. Add the vegetable(s) of your choice, such as onion, broccoli, mushrooms, sweet peppers, pea pods, and so on.
3. At the same time, cook the carb of your choice -- rice, pasta, diced potatoes, or another grain, such as farro or barley -- in the microwave.
4. Add a sauce, if you like, to the protein-veggie combo, such as tomato, Alfredo, or cheese. Or add a little more olive oil with vinaigrette.
5. Add the herbs and seasonings of your choice (such as parsley, chives, oregano, pepper, salt) and then mix everything together.
If your loved one doesn't like spicy or seasoned foods, set a portion aside for him or her before you season. Dice the meat and veggies finely for someone who has difficulty with swallowing or chewing. The sauce tends to make the dish easier to get down. And it's a great way to get a little protein into a finicky eater.